GOU

Goupil Gallery

In the years around 1850 the Goupil Gallery, then located in the Rue Caulaincourt, was a small shop which sold principally engravings of the works of such painters as Horace Vernet, Paul Delaroche and Ary Scheffer. In 1877, with the third Impressionist exhibition, Goupil became interested in the new movement and from then on the growth of the gallery was rapid. Van Gogh worked in the branch in The Hague in 1869 and was later transferred to the Brussels shop, where he was replaced by his brother Theo prior to his transfer to the London branch. In 1875 Vincent worked for a while at the Paris headquarters, from which he was dismissed the following year. Later, he sent some of his paintings to his brother, Theo, still employed by Goupil, who tried to place them with the Gallery, but they were rejected as 'horrors'. In 1895; Toulouse-Lautrec exhibited a group of his Montmartre canyases at the London shop. Another Goupil related to the founder of the firm, was the author of a book on painting which was instrumental in Matisse's choice of career.