IPO

Institute of Painters in Oil Colours

The first exhibition of the Institute of Painters in Oil Colours was opened on 15th December 1883 and held at the Dudley Gallery. Among the almost 800 exhibits were works by Mr. Lawrence ALMA-TADEMA, Mr. J E Hodgson, Edwin Long, James D Linton (President of the Institute), Arthur Hacker, Mr. C E Johnson, Mr. R W Macbeth RA. Mr. Briton Reviere, Arthur Severn, Earnest Parton, Frank D Millet, Mrs Alma-Tadema, Mrs Anna Lea MERRITT, Townley Green, Mr. R C Woodville and Mr. R Caldecott.

(Edited from The New York Times report by A. de G. S. published 11th January 1884.)