Lucy Elizabeth KEMP-WELCH

1869—1958

Best known for her paintings of horses and riders, Kemp-Welch was born near Bournemouth, and first studied at Bournemouth School of Art before further training at the Herkomer School at Bushey (which she took over as Principal in 1907, and continued running it until 1926).  She worked as part of the St Ives colony between 1901-10, having known a number of the artists there from Herkomer's.

In 1923, her painting Low Tide at St Ives was purchased by the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Two of her paintings - Colt Hunting in the New Forest (1897) and Forward the Guns (1917) - were purchased by the Chantrey Bequest. A photograph of the artist appears in the Girls Own Annual (1901, p561), and a further article about her appeared in the Girl's Realm Annual (1905, p694).

Two of her paintings are reprinted in b&w in Sparrow's Women Painters of the World (1905).