M & M ASH

The sisters exhibited lace at both the summer and winter exhibitions at NAG in 1926, with reference to a reviewer’s comment at Christmas of that year: ‘In the exhibitions at the Newlyn Art Gallery of recent years there has been a marked and steady improvement, inasmuch as there has been a continuous and obvious attempt to make the collections attractive to a wider public.  The concentration on making the exhibition one of pictures only has disappeared; the sponsors of the gallery have taken the broader-minded view, and they have backed up the exhibits on canvas and paper with an infusion of the very real and very beautiful art that can be found in other branches of work.’

In 1928 in the July 12 – September 22 exhibition, they also exhibited lace, as the only exhibitors in this category. They lived at Newlyn Manor House in 1926.