Marcella SMITH

1887—1963

Born in East Moseley, Surrey, the artist's family moved to America. She studied first at the Corcoran School of Art in Washington, and the Philadelphia School of Design, and then returned to Europe to attend Colarossi's Atelier in Paris, taught by Eugene Delecluse.

She first came to St Ives in 1914, her initial success at RA in 1916 being St Ives Harbour. Concentrated on landscapes and townscapes in early years, and painted from 3 Porthmeor Studios by 1920. Moved to London 1921 to live with Dorothea SHARP in Maida Vale, but maintained her St Ives studio. She was invited to contribute a painting to Queen Mary's Doll House (1922).

In 1930s, she concentrated on flower paintings in oil, and increased the size of her canvases. One of these, Peonies, is illustrated in the Falmouth Exhibition Catalogue (1996) and three other titles exhibited were Magnolia Grandiflora, Anemones, and An Arrangement of Herbaceous Cut Flowers, all from private collections.

She lived in St Ives with Dorothea SHARP during WWII, and acted as a curator for Lanham's Gallery, organising exhibitions and running the shows.  After the split of STISA, she returned to London, but continued to go back and forth between the two. She died in 1963 in St Ives at 1 Piazza Studios.