William TURNER of Oxford
William Turner, known as Turner of Oxford to distinguish him from the more famous J M W Turner, was born at Blackbourton, near Bampton, Oxfordshire on 12 November 1789. He studied with John Varley in 1804 and in 1808 was elected a member of the Old Watercolour Society (later RWS). Until 1815 he worked in the southern counties of England, often around Bristol. He then toured extensively, visiting the Lake District, North Wales, Derbyshire, Devon, the New Forest and Isle of Wight. He settled in Oxford from 1811 where he taught many amateur artists as well as university students. In 1836 he made a sketching tour of Cornwall. From 1838 he toured the west coast of Scotland on several occasions. He worked predominantly in watercolours but occasionally used oils.
He inherited the manor house at Shipton, Oxfordshire from an uncle who had brought him up after his parents had died early in his life. He married Elizabeth Ilott at Shipton in 1824. He exhibited prolificly throughout his career with the Sketching Society, RA, and BI. He died at 16 St John's Street, Oxford on 7 August 1862 and was buried at Shipton.