Probably Annie Bruce EADIE (also found as EADE).
At the time of the 1891 Census she was living in Ayr Lane, St Ives with her husband, William EADIE, an artist.
Originating from Scotland and classified as a painter of domestic subjects, William Eadie from St John's Wood, London came to St Ives in 1885 as a winter resident. Initially he had a studio made out of an old out-house, and he and his wife Annie EADIE lived at Halsetown. He exhibited three paintings at the Dowdeswell show of 1890 with the Cornish-associated painters, and a further three at Nottingham Castle in 1894.
Eadie was one of the Founder Members, with his wife, of the St Ives Arts Club. The panels of Twelve Apostles in St John's in the Fields Church, St Ives, were painted by him. He died in London and is buried at Highgate.
Daughter of Samuel (a barrister) and Marion 'May' Earle, Kathleen moved with her family from Eltham to Bromley in 1901, and their house 'The Thwaite' was the family home throughout her young years. As she had qualified as an Assistant Teacher while at school, her parents wanted her to be a teacher, but whilst at her small finishing school (near Hastings, Sussex) where she became known as an accomplished artist, she read about the FORBES SCHOOL in The Studio and proceeded to apply for further study there (1910-11).
She introduced to Newlyn, and later married in 1918, Alec George WALKER, an artist-craftsman. Together they set up a fabric-designing and -making business known as Cryséde, first in Newlyn at Myrtle Cottage (the 'Myrtage') and later in St Ives.
Myrtle Cottage had been a boarding house pre WWI for the pupils of the FORBES School. They drew their primary inspiration for their designs from the local natural environment. Kathleen not only exhibited paintings (1924) but also illustrations, dolls and leatherwork up until the 1930s at NAG. (See Alec George WALKER and CRYSEDE entries for fuller accounts of the work.)
[Photo likenesses of Kay and Alec in Hardie 1995, p59 and Hardie 2009, p65]
By profession a medical doctor, Early was first spotted as a promising talent by Ben NICHOLSON in 1946. Befriended by sculptor Denis MITCHELL, he proceeded to begin showing his work together with him in the next three years. The chronology revealed in the Tate's publication St Ives 1939-64 gives the main progress of his exhibiting life in Cornwall. He was said to be a 'natural primitive' painter, with rich, colourful application.
In 1952 he returned to medicine full-time, becoming the registrar of the Derby Mental Hospital. With the Derby Group, he exhibited in 1961 at the Derby Art Gallery. His final solo show was at the Midland Group Gallery in 1965 (Buckman).
His wife Eunice Campbell Early published his biography in 1994, The Magic Shuttle - The Story of Tom Early, St Ives and after.
The artist began his working life in his brother's shoe factory in Northamptonshire. Starting at the age of thirty-one, he took art lessons in Glasgow whilst there on business, and later studied in Paris at the Ecole des Beaux Arts and Academie Julian.
A prolific and widely-travelled painter, who lived strictly to a personal code of 'work first', he painted in the vivid atmospheric manner of the Barbizon artists, often on a large scale (thus satisfying the Edwardian taste for large drawing room pictures); he was very impressed with the French landscape artists.
He was awarded numerous international medals and awards, and worked across Europe and in Japan and Africa, exhibiting at the RA from 1883 in every year until his death in 1913. Based in London, he visited St Ives from the 1890s to 1910, where his patience and scholarly approach to art had a strong bearing on the development of young painters.
He lived in The Terrace, St Ives. Charles MARRIOTT declared himself amused by the 'rivalry between East and Hemy as raconteurs.' His own writings include The Art of Landscape Painting in Oil Colour (1906) and Brush and Pencil Notes in Landscape (1914, posthumous publication). He was awarded the Grand Order of the Corona of Italy in 1903, and knighted in England in 1910.
The artist studied in Antwerp and Paris, and lived and painted from Balham (1889-93) and Warwick Square, London (1902). Illustrations of his work appear in The Studio magazine, and he is included in New Zealand Gallery (Wellington and Christchurch) Collections.
In 1893, his signature appears on an Arts Club letter, the same year as the Canadian artist Mary Alexander BELL, whom he subsequently married, came to St Ives. Tovey remarks that it is not surprising that St Ives was as much a 'seedbed of romance' as a welling up of artistic friendships.
Canadian by birth, Mary Bell studied in Montreal with Robert Harris, and subsequently in New York at the Art Students League with William Merritt Chase, and at the Academie Colarossi in Montparnesse, Paris (1891).
She had arrived in St Ives in 1893 from Ontario, having been for a brief period a member of the staff of the Victoria School of Art in Montreal (1892). In St Ives she met her future husband, Charles Herbert EASTLAKE. As Miss M A Bell, she painted from Tregenna Terrace in 1896 and maintained a studio in Regent's Park. The couple designed and made enamels for jewellery, and travelled extensively on the Continent.
In 1911 the couple were painting from a studio in Chelsea, London. During this period they lived in Warwick Square, London and later at 'Hollywood' in Croydon. By 1939 they had returned to Montreal, and shortly thereafter to Ontario. She died in Ottawa in 1951.
She exhibited regularly at the RA. Her studies of Dutch child-life had a great success in England and America.
Falmouth association. His portrait of Colonel J P Carne (1954) can be seen at Falmouth Town Council. His 1958 portraits of Arthur Trevena Holman 1893-1959 and Percy Miners Holman 1895-1969 are in the art collection of the Royal Cornwall Museum, Truro.
Eastman with her husband Chris THOMAS moved to North Cornwall, and has taught art in secondary schools, art history in adult education. She also worked for the Footsbarn Travelling Theatre Co. She is a member of the North Cornwall Seven Group and has exhibited with them around Cornwall, including their exhibition in 1998 at the Falmouth Art Gallery. She has also exhibited at Rainyday Gallery in Penzance.
Her studies in Fine Art were originally at Reading University, and she was taught by Ray ATKINS and John Wonnacott. Latterly she has been in training to be an Art Therapist at Goldsmith's College, London.
The artist was the Art Union of Cornwall prize winner in the 1920 RCPS September Show (taking home £10 10s 0d), and recorded as being from Carbis Bay. No further information currently available.