Elwes studied with both Stanhope FORBES and Samuel John Lamorna BIRCH, and in Switzerland. She exhibited work at Newlyn Art Gallery in 1909 under the name of C FORSYTHE, and was reported in the Cornish Telegraph (25 March 1909) as 'Mr'.
In 1932 she wrote Flower Painting in Water-colour. Her addresses were in Bournemouth and later as a resident in Oxford.
The artist stayed with his parents at Albany House, St Ives in 1892. He studied at University College, the Slade School and Julians Academy in Paris, and married Florence Crawford-Evans. They lived in London but travelled widely, and Frank was a special artist with the Manchester Guardian. He also wrote for the Architectural Review, being particularly interested in interiors and architecture in general, and was a Chief Examiner for the Royal Drawing Society.
He was the author of an article in The Studio: 'Concarneau, Brittany as a Sketching Ground'.
His painting A Kensington Interior was bought for the nation by the Chantrey Bequest in 1912. Most of his paintings were burned in a fire at his home in later life.
Emanuel was born in Bury, Lancashire, and though he did an apprenticeship in decorating and signwriting never formally studied art. He began to paint in his thirties, though not to exhibit, and in 1964 came to St Ives. He acknowledges the help at that time from Alexander MACKENZIE, Denis MITCHELL and John Clayworth Spencer WELLS among others, and took up membership in both the NSA (being Chairman 1977-78) and the Penwith Society of Artists.
He is primarily known for his nude studies, many of his long-time partner Janet AXTEN. The Tate St Ives commissioned him to create an etching for the opening of the gallery in 1993. His work is shown widely in mixed shows and solo exhibitions in the UK and abroad. He works from his studio overlooking Porthminster Beach, St Ives.
John works from the Porthmeor Studios, St Ives (2011), which have been in process of renovation this year. Some of these studios will be ready for re-opening for OPEN STUDIOS Cornwall (28 May-5 June 2011).
Recorded as a member of STISA, his first Show Day having been in 1927. He lived at Rosebank, St Ives.
This artist exhibited what Wood describes as 'country scenes' at the RA in 1896, 1899 and 1900. His original sending-in address had been in Manchester (1883), and this was given again in 1899. However, between those years he gave an address in Bushey, Herts (in 1896) indicating study there also. He is known to have painted Cornish subjects, notably Polperro in 1908.
Whether or not he spent much time in the county is as yet unknown, but he exhibited mainly at Manchester (30).
Instruction was given by Reginald Thomas DICK in enamelling in the same premises as used by the coppersmiths. Mrs Lionel BIRCH (Constance Mary BIRCH) said in 1907 '...in a quiet little quadrangle round a flower set court, in studios under the windows of which the surf dashes up and breaks - one finds the flashing beauty of sapphire and topaz and amethyst in the enamels of Mr Dick; and the ring of hammer on beaten metal as copper and silver and brass are fashioned into forms of quaint and beautiful designs under the direction of Mr John Drew MacKENZIE.'
The work of the Class was sold alongside Newlyn Copper. Newlyn enamels were available on the work of Newlyn Coppersmiths, but it is better known as jewellery. The jewellery is quite often of Art Nouveau design, with the most common motifs being shells, fish and flowers set in elaborate Art Nouveau silver mounts. Some pendants have fine handmade chains set with moonstones. Most, but not all, pieces are stamped NEWLYN or NEWLYN ENAMEL, and larger pieces such as buckles may be hallmarked.
By that time, however, the Art Nouveau style was out of date and many pieces were sold off cheaply at a sale at Pauls in Penzance(!); needless to say it is now eagerly sought by collectors. It is not known when production ceased, but as late as 1927 it was still being advertised as available.
Born in Boston, Lincolnshire (27 August, 1860 GRO), the artist was lodging in 1891 at 44 Trewarveneth Street (Olive Villa) in the parish of St Peters, Newlyn, in the same house as Henry Meynell RHEAM. Prior to coming to Cornwall he had lived in London and Boston in Lincolnshire.
He spent five or six years in Newlyn, and during this time had three paintings accepted at RA. He had considerable success in portraiture, with seven further RA exhibits. In 1904 he was assisting John Henry Alphonse DA COSTA in offering drawing, painting and pastel lessons for young ladies in Kensington. He died on 7 October, 1921, age 61, in London (GRO).
Alison trained in Printed textile design at Derby and Nottingham. She obtained a City & Guilds certificate in Appreciation of Colour and Design.
In 1998 she moved to St Just in West Penwith and purchased The Old Sunday School Studio two years later. Her partner, Clare Calder Marshall, managed the business side of the attractive and popular Gallery and teaching venue which they set up there. Alison exhibited widely and assisted often with community art projects.
Her illustrations were used, along with the designs of fellow artist Jack TROWBRIDGE, for the Millennium history of the town of Penzance, written by Melissa HARDIE and published by Penzance Town Council, to be distributed widely to all school children under 16 in West Cornwall. Her cover illustration for this book was an example of her interesting multi-media techniques of creating pictures with poured paper pulp. Another strong element of her art is built upon her natural wit and intelligence that literally 'burbles and pops' in many creative ways on cards, bookmarks, and other ephemera.
In about 2005, the partners moved to Lavenham in Suffolk, where they own and manage the Crooked House Gallery in the High Street.