A remarkable discovery made by Tovey in his social history of St Ives, when studying the ratepayers accounts for properties associated with the artists residing there, was the Ratebook entries for the Piazza Studios. From these, it was found that Nicholas F was a ratepayer for No 5 in 1914 and 1917, and for No 1 in 1925. Tovey goes on to explain (pp158-9) his interest in art and photography, following the opening by his father Carl Faberge of a London shop, for which his son was sent to assist in the running. He was drawn to St Ives in the years immediately before WWI. Photography became the galvanising force in his life.
The St Ives Times in March 1916 announced he was painting in St Ives and that he was to remain for the duration of the War. A refugee from Belgium and a highly regarded symbolist painter, Fabry had been commissioned by University College, Cardiff to paint two canvasses, War and Peace. Tovey in his latest historical review of artists in St Ives, Sea Change, treats the reader to a section on 'The symbolist works of Emile Fabry' (Chap 3, section 3.3.)
After the Great War he was asked by Belgian Government to help design a Victory Monument/Memorial.
A Mr Faed is listed as a pupil in the FORBES SCHOOL in 1927, and in the summer exhibition of NAG in 1928 the artist exhibited a painting, A Spring Watercolour.
The following summer he exhibited two etchings. He is probably the son of one of the four Faed brothers of Kirkcudbrightshire, distinguished artist sons of their equally, if not more, distinguished father John FAED (1820-1902), a painter of historical genre (primarily Scottish).
Ann-Marie Fairbrother works from Trewarveneth studios in Newlyn. A geography graduate with an MA in Art, she describes herself as a 'psychogeographical adventuress' whose work is linked to natural processes. She makes installations, interventions and interactions using mixed media.
There are three Miss Falcons in Johnson & Greutzner, one each from London, Milverton (Somerset) and Cheltenham. Only Miss Maud FALCON is noticed by Wood as flourishing 1888-90 with two flower paintings (GG), and she was a NAG Exhibitor in October 1898.
Annie Falkner was the sister of the novelist John Meade Falkner. She never married. She and her partner Leslie HERVEY associated themselves with the St Ives colony in 1907, and took over one of the Piazza studios during WWI. Originally from a clergy family in Dorchester, she is said to have trained at the Slade in 1889. Records show that she exhibited in London in the 1890s from an address in Bedford (1893) and from addresses in Berkshire (1900, 1908) before finally settling in St Ives. She also exhibited frequently at the Beaux Arts, where a joint show with Leslie Hervey was held in 1926.
Their final Show Day in St Ives was in 1916, and sometime thereafter the pair appear to have moved on to France, with Annie exhibiting with frequency during the 1920s at the Salon d'Automne, where she also served as Secretary.
In an article written for the Western Morning News (May 5,1972), Frank RUHRMUND writes:
'An exhibition of paintings and sculpture by Conor Fallon is now being held in the one-man showroom of the Newlyn Art Gallery. A painter whose work has impressed in mixed exhibitions in recent years, this is his first individual show there and possibly his last, unfortunately, as he is shortly returning, I understand, to his native Ireland. He will be missed, for he is a painter with a very personal style and vision...He is a painter with ideas and courage; he demonstrates his versatility and puts himself at risk by including four Maquettes for Owls, a series of plasters for bronzes; hollow-eyed, white, yellow and orange, they are a delight...' (reprinted in Hardie (1995, p135)
He was married to the painter Nancy WYNNE JONES.