The St Ives Times described him as the Canadian Government War Artist, well-known in the town. Born 15 February 1866 in Sunderland, he studied at York School of Art, winning a National Scholarship to the RCA in 1886 and a Travelling Scholarship in 1888. He studied in Paris at the Académie Julian and Atelier Colarossi under Bouguereau and Robert-Fleury.
On his return to London in the early 1890s, he worked for a time on the staff at The Idler and for Cassell's as a black-and-white artist. He exhibited at the RA from 1893, also at the New Gallery and abroad, being awarded a Silver Medal at the Paris International Exhibition in 1900, and at Pittsburgh in 1914. He painted portraits of King George V and Queen Mary at Windsor, and interiors of Buckingham Palace. From about 1930 he worked in Canada, where he painted landscapes as well as portraits, dying in Montreal on June 29th 1952.
The sister of Caroline JACKSON and Enid JACKSON, she arrived in St Ives in 1926 from Birkenhead. Although not a STISA member, she did exhibit with them on one occasion; Alice was more a stalwart of the Arts Club, where she acted in many productions.
Her sister, Caroline, exhibited a sculpture of Alice in the STISA 1934 Summer Exhibition.
Caroline was one of six daughters of a wealthy Liverpool stockbroker whose family home was in Birkenhead. She was the eldest, but at least two of the other Jackson girls - Therese JACKSON and Enid JACKSON - came to St Ives periodically and shared lodgings at Bowling Green Terrace.
Caroline Jackson was a sculptor, working primarily in plaster, but exhibiting the occasional bronze and some small plasticine figures. Having moved to St Ives in about 1904, she joined the Arts Club in 1906, although her work is not mentioned at exhibitions until 1910.
At Lanham's in 1914 she showed A quiet afternoon. She contributed work to STISA shows from 1928, and although not a founder member, she was the only exhibiting sculptor member of STISA in its first ten years of existence. In 1928 she was living at 8 Bowling Green Terrace, St Ives.
The landscape artist studied at Herkomer's School at Bushey, Hertfordshire, and is known to have exhibited at the Ridley Art Club.
Whybrow notices her presence in St Ives in her listing for 1901-1910 at the Arts Club there.
Enid was also one of the six Jackson daughters who spent time in St Ives, though the family home was in Birkenhead near Liverpool. She is first recorded with a St Ives address in 1905 (J&G), and Tovey references her presence in his social history of the St Ives art colony. She exhibited at the Goupil Gallery in London, in the London Salon and also at the NEA on three occasions.
The address for the Rev Jackson was the St Ruan Rectory near Helston, Cornwall in 1880, though by 1884 this had moved to Stanmore, Middlesex.
It appears as if Frederick Jackson had been in Cornwall for some years before that, as he exhibited six watercolours at Smith Street (SS) in the five years between 1868 and 1873. Wood comments that he also exhibited two marine paintings at the RA between 1878 and 1884. He is also known to have exhibited at the Dudley Gallery on at least one occasion. Further information about him remains still to be gathered.
Kurt Jackson MA (Oxon) DLitt (Hon) RWA was born is 1961 in Blandford, Dorset. He graduated from St Peter’s College, Oxford with a degree in Zoology in 1983. While there, he spent most of his time painting and attending courses at Ruskin College of Art, Oxford. On gaining his degree he travelled extensively and independently, painting wherever he went. He travelled to the Arctic alone and hitched across Africa with his wife. This has given him a broad experience of environments and cultures which has enriched his work with a unique insight and an attention to detail. He moved to Cornwall in 1984 where he still lives and works.
A dedication to and celebration of the environment is intrinsic to both his politics and his art and a holistic involvement with his subjects provides the springboard for his formal innovations. Jackson's practice involves both plein air and studio work and embraces an extensive range of materials and techniques including mixed media, large canvases, print making and sculpture.
He has been Artist in Residence on the Greenpeace ship Esperanza, at the Eden Project and at Glastonbury Festival since 1999. He has an Honorary Doctorate (DLitt) from Exeter University and is an Honorary Fellow of St Peter's College, Oxford University. He is an ambassador for Survival International and frequently works with Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, WaterAid, Oxfam and Cornwall Wildlife Trust. He is represented by Redfern Gallery and The Lemon Street Gallery, Truro. He is an academician at the Royal West of England Academy.
Paul Jackson qualified in Studio Ceramics in 1977 at Harrow School of Art. Following a short period teaching in London, he relocated to Cornwall, where he established his pottery in 1979. He moved to his present home at Helland Bridge, near Bodmin, where he works in a studio converted from an old chapel, in 1989. He has exhibited regularly and widely in both the UK and the US, and his work can be found in many major galleries.
He exhibits at Gallery TRESCO on the Isles of Scilly.
Born in Bristol, the son of the landscape painter Samuel JACKSON, he also became his father's pupil. A particular interest in sunlight, mist, clouds and sea attracted him to coastal views.
Chiefly a watercolourist, his earliest works were of the coasts of Cornwall and Devon, his painting of Land's End, Cornwall (according to Wood) being a good example. The interest of John Ruskin was aroused by these, and Martin Hardie complimented his hazy effects. His more relevant connection to landscape became in time with the Thames Valley and Wales.