Born in Montreal, Canada, Haylett moved with his parents back to Britain at the age of two and was brought up in Southend-on-Sea. He studied art there and at St Martins, London. He was primarily a portrait painter although he had a broad range of art and design skills, and was invited to St Ives shortly after the War by his friend the photographer Gilbert ADAMS.
He was so taken by the ambience of the town that he took a studio in Westcott's Quay on the spot. His fiancée Jean, a fashion student, joined him and they married in 1946. His favourite portrait subject was his wife, although he soon began to win commissions from the rich and famous. He was asked by one of the organisers of the Daily Mail Ideal Home Exhibition to submit a design. His scheme was selected for the 1954 Exhibition and was such a success he was given the accolade of being selected the following year as well.
He also redesigned a number of shops in St Ives, was a design consultant for Plymouth Breweries, and designs for two of his homes were featured in Ideal Homes. Haylett also taught art at Redruth School of Art, the St Ives School of Painting and Camborne College.
In August 2011 an auctioneer selling one of his paintings came across a businesss card giving Haylett's address in 1950 as 'The Warren, St Ives'.
Hayman was born in London, and schooled at Malvern, before going to New Zealand for a decade where he began to paint at Dunedin. In 1947 he came back to England, finding a home in West Cornwall (1950) and moving around from Mevagissey to Carbis Bay ('Dunvegan') and St Ives before returning to London in 1953. In 1964-65 he spent a further year in St Ives, joining the Penwith Society.
His work was visibly influenced by that of Alfred WALLIS, and he participated actively in group and solo shows. Though he finally returned to London, Cornwall was always evident in his work and subject matter, and he continued to visit with regularity. His wife was Barbara, and good friends were many, including George Peter LANYON.
For five years (1958-63) he edited The Painter and Sculptor, a magazine he established, and in 1988 his Painted Poems were published by the Louise Hallett Gallery. In 1987 his painting Events by the Sea (1970) was selected for the Looking West Exhibition organised by NAG with the Royal College of Art, in collaboration with the National Trust.
Keith studied at Harrow School of Art where he graduated with a BA Hons. He joined the BBC where he worked as a multi-award winning designer and director on some of the most important arts programmes of the past twenty years including: Arena, The Late Show and Rock Family Trees.
In 1993 some of his work was included in a ICA exhibition on avante-garde film and television. Much of his current work is based on an exploration of pop culture through the use of physical objects and mixed media presentation.
In 2013 he is exhibiting currently at the Waterside Gallery, St Ives. His work is displayed upon their website.
Jonathan Hayter's paintings aim to capture the atmosphere of hidden valleys and post-industrial sites in Cornwall.
Born at Southport, Lancashire, Hayward studied architecture at South Kensington but gave it up for painting, and subsequently studied at the Warrington School of Art and under Stanhope FORBES at Newlyn. During WWI he served with Royal Field Artillery, and returned to Newlyn, being addressed as Captain Hayward.
He joined the Committee of the NSA, serving specifically on the Entertainments sub-committee, as his organisation skills were well known. After working at Newlyn and Paul, he moved to St Ives, and established a St Ives School of Painting (c1924) of which he was the named Principal - not the same School of Painting now in existence, begun in the 1930s with Leonard John FULLER in charge.
He worked from Treveneth and Shore Studio (Illus, Tovey, p110), and played an important role in STISA. After 1932 he refused to have anything more to do with that organisation, but continued to play a part in St Ives and Newlyn's artistic life through the formation of an exhibiting set calling themselves the CORNWALL GROUP. The HARVEYS (Harold HARVEY & Gertrude HARVEY), the PROCTERS (Ernest PROCTER & Dod PROCTER), Hugh GRESTY, Alison ROSE and Midge BRUFORD were those who banded together for some years.
Haywood painted a portrait of Lady Jennifer Galsworthy, MBE in 1998 (acrylic on board) which is in the collection of the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro. Lady Jennifer was the chairperson of the campaign to build the Mermaid Centre for cancer care, at the hospital in the 1990s, and an able, innovative leader in support of fine arts and gardening arts & crafts within the county.
The artist was born Jennifer Hayes in Wolverhampton, one of nine children. Though showing an aptitude for art, there was no encouragement or support for her interest, and it was not until she came to Cornwall for summer work that she experienced the milieu that would eventually give full rein to her talents.
She married local hotel chef Claude Hazel, who died when she was forty. Having three children to support, she again had little time for creativity, but by the late 1980s she had taken up the painting and sketching habit in a passionate way. With little money, she painted on all manner of objects - wood and wallpaper amongst them - and her subjects were the scenes around her in Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole. A close friendship for twenty years with artist Rose HILTON, who employed her also as a model, reinforced her instincts to paint, and it was Rose who assisted her daughter Kate Hazel to put up an exhibition of Jennifer's paintings under the title Hidden Treasures at the Morvah Schoolhouse Gallery in February 2010.
The Beach (No. 2) by this artist (dated 1965) is included in the permanent collection of Cornwall Council.
The artist was the son of a merchant trader in the Baltic trading market, and was born and brought up in Bideford, Devon.
A student in St Ives with Norman WILKINSON, he visited Paris in 1900 with him and Reginald Guy KORTRIGHT. Tovey also records his social activities in St Ives in 1901, in the theatricals and choral singing. In 1907 he is also referenced as painting the scenery for the theatricals at St Ives (noticed as Hugh, and also Percy, in index)
His addresses for exhibiting purposes are the following: Swansea 1886 and 1892; Bideford, Devon 1891, 1896 and 1914, with London coming in-between at 1903. In this period his main exhibition venue was the Walker Gallery at Liverpool, but also a few elsewhere.
Ian Heard was born in Cornwall. He studied in Falmouth and Camborne and worked as an artist and illustrator in Falmouth and Truro before moving to Oxford at the age of 28 to pursue a career in design. In 1993 he moved to Tavistock. He continues to exhibit in Cornwall and in 2014 created a series of painting workshops in conjunction with the National Trust at Cotehele. He has also written articles for 'The Artist' magazine.