The artist was born in Napier, New Zealand, the daughter and second child of Edward (born in Wales, died in NZ 1882) and Edith Towgood. Her widowed mother brought Mary and her three sisters to live in England, where Mary later attended the RA Schools, and studied in Newlyn (C Wood), possibly with GARSTIN, before her marriage.
In 1899 she married the genre and portrait painter John Young-Hunter, and with him had one daughter, Gabrielle (b1906). She exhibited at the RA and worked as a portraitist in Scotland and England until 1915, when the family went to the United States, living first in New York City and subsequently in Taos, New Mexico. The couple parted in 1921 when she moved to Berkeley, Californa, building a home in Carmel where she subsequently died.
Douglas Zadek, born in London in 1913, studied at the Bauhaus. When it closed down in the early 1930s he returned to London. He worked for Muriel Bell at the Malvern Pottery before accepting Bernard LEACH's invitation to join the Leach Pottery in 1936, staying there for two years. Harry and May Davis had departed to set up their own pottery, and Douglas would be their replacement assistant. His special friendship with Dicon NANCE, a furniture maker at the quay in St Ives, meant that together they could build many of the Leach pottery wheels.
Zadek founded Cobham Pottery (Surrey Pottery Ltd), which ran from 1947 to 1956. He worked with many distinguished potters and remained good friends with Bernard Leach until Leach's death in 1979. He is best known for his coloured slip decorated earthenware.
Born in Tehran, Persia, she received her formal introduction to art through its history at the University of Warwick, followed by an honours degree in fine art from the Slade (1986-91) and a PhD from the Falmouth Art College. Partou was Artist in Residence at Tate St Ives, 2003-4. From 1993 until her early death from cancer in 2008, she lived and worked in Cornwall.
In her obituary for The Guardian (2008) Professor Penny Florence, who supervised Partou's studies at Falmouth, wrote the following about her friend: 'At her death, Partou was preparing for publication a number of plays, stories and reflections, all of which are formally innovative and written in a clear and original voice. They convey a strong sense of her lightness and charm, and they enrich the understanding of her use of mythological allusion in painting.'
She was married to the artist Richard COOK.
Elizabeth Rosemary Ziar [nee Rowe] was born in the Sheaf of Wheat public house, and throughout her long working life she remained faithful to the spirit of West Cornwall. She was known as 'Ro' to early friends, and Rosemary thereafter. Her mother, Grace Rowe [nee Trembath] had artistic ability and Rosemary excelled from a young age, winning national prizes for her illustrations and design whilst still at school.
In 1937 she enrolled at the Penzance School of Art under the inspirational principal James Lias who guided and nurtured her talent. WW II interrupted her studies and she joined the Land Army; later she fondly recalled picking bunches of violets while working in the fields of Penwith. After the war she returned to painting and exhibited with the NSA. She returned to art studies at Leonard FULLER's School of Painting at the Porthmeor Studios, St Ives.
Her work became increasingly experimental and her more traditional water colours began to give way to much bolder styles and more vibrant use of colour. In 1972 her paintings were first accepted at the Paris Salon, and thereafter her work was shown internationally in Italy and France. She won the Diplome d'Honneur at the Biarritz International Salon and the Coupe d'Antibes at the international exposition of paintings and sculpture in Juan-les-Pins. From that time her work was purchased by collectors from North America to New Zealand.
In 1991 Rosemary published Good Morrow Brother, a series of illustrated local stories centred on the land lying between St Ives and St Just, based on the recollections of her aunt, Mabel Trembath. Mabel's colourful memories also included recall of D H Lawrence's regular visits to the pub when heading to St Ives with his wife, Frieda. Rosemary's maternal grandfather was Madron Trembath who had been the mine captain at Geevor Mine. After his death, his wife Grace remarried Thomas Job, who subsequently became licensee of the Sheaf of Wheat Public House, which is where Rosemary's mother, also Grace, gave birth to her. Rosemary was able in her book to record and illustrate with line drawings - capturing the spirt of West Penwith at the beginning of the 20th century in both image and text.
She married the Penzance dentist, Ian Ziar, and the couple had one son.
Born in Mora, Sweden, February 18th 1860, and studied at the Royal Academy of Fine Art in Stockholm. He was greatly influenced by Egron Lundgren. He visited Devon 1882-4 staying especially at Clovelly. Zorn married in 1885 to Emma Lamm and they spent the winter of 1887-8 in St Ives, in the same period as WHISTLER and the Norwegian artists Finn SCHJERFBECK and Helene SCHJERFBECK visited and worked, before settling in Paris.
He exhibited A Fisherman, St Ives 1888 at the Paris Salon and received a First Class Medal and that triumph was followed by a Gold Medal there in 1899 for his Fish Sale, St Ives. Stanhope FORBES in his lecture (pp43-50 repr in Hardie 2009) 'A Newlyn Retrospect' comments: 'I remember finding in a house at St Ives where I was calling, four painters of four different nationalities: in that town, Zorn, the well-know Swedish artist, painted his first oil picture, which now hangs in the Luxembourg, and for it his palette was set by an equally celebrated American painter who at that time resided there.' Tovey includes two coloured plates (No 26 & 27) of the medal-winners now owned by the Luxembourg Museum, Paris, which over time has resulted in many artist visitors to St Ives.
His reputation was of the highest order, not only as the best-known Swedish painter, but also for his portraits, which include three US presidents. His wife Emma Zorn died on 04 January 1942. To honor the memory of her husband, she had worked to create a museum, which opened in 1939.