In 1865, Charles William Dowdeswell (1832-1915), owned a framemaker's and print shop in Chancery Lane, London. He opened a gallery at 133 New Bond Street in 1878. He was later joined by his son Walter in business. The Gallery closed in 1912 and the C.W. Dowdeswell library was sold at Christies from 7-9 February 1912. Two further sales were held in 1920 at Puttick and Simpsons, London.
In December 1890 an Exhibition of Pictures by artists residing in, or painting at, Newlyn, St. Ives, Falmouth, etc. was held in the Gallery. Twenty-eight artists of the Newlyn Art Colony are listed in the catalogue. The catalogue is reprinted in the Hardie 2009 essay 'Defining Exhibitions' pp 51-2.
Hardie (2009) Artists in Newlyn & West Cornwall pp 51-2;