Heather Sutcliffe was to meet her future husband, Charles H THOMPSON, when she studied at the Herkomer School. The story of their courtship and marriage is to be found in his entry in this data-base, as provided by Viv Hendra, author and gallery owner (2011).
She continued to paint throughout their marriage under the name of Heather Thompson, though nothing is known as yet about her work except that she was noted for her miniatures. She exhibited at NAG (1924).
Her sending-in address in 1903 was St Buryan, and in 1906 at Limnerslease, nr Guildford, where she managed the pottery while he acted as curator. They continued their association with Newlyn into the 1920s, when both exhibited again at NAG, having done so earlier before Charles's appointment in Surrey which kept them away for ten years. The return to West Cornwall was permanent, and they leased a home, Chyvarrian, where they remained until her death.
Painter of miniatures
works and access
RA (6); NAG December 1924
misc further info
Hardie (2009) Artists in Newlyn and West Cornwall (p281)
Hendra (2011) correspondence
Johnson & Greutzner (2008) British Artists 1880-1940
NAG Exhibition records (WCAA)
Newton et al Painting at the Edge
Wormleighton A Painter Laureate;