Herbert TRUMAN

1883—1957

 Born at Dawlish of Devonian parentage, he trained at South London School of Art, then St Martin's School of Art. He first exhibited at the RA in 1912, the same year as he was encouraged by Lord Kitchener to undertake the revival and reorganisation of Egyptian Arts and Crafts, being appointed Chief inspector of the Art and Trade Schools.

'During this period he was greatly influenced by the simplicity and symbolism of Ancient Egyptian Art, hence after 14 years he returned to the West Country and worked with the Newlyn School under the direction of Ernest PROCTER. In 1926 at NAG he exhibited The Abandoned Clay-pit.

At NAG (1927) he was reviewed as striking a modern note with his painting of gulls and in 1928 (NAG) he offered A Flutter of Wings, The Moonlight Bather and Back Street St Ives. He settled to live at St Ives and worked from Trezion chiefly in the1920s and 30s his art first mentioned in St Ives press in 1925. A versatile painter working in a number of styles, he was highly praised by Julius OLSSON.

His favourite subjects were the harbour and old houses in St Ives and the China Clay Pits. His St Ives work was reproduced for posters and postcards, so they were affordable to all. A good example is The Quayside, St Ives, reprinted in colour in the Home Lovers Book. He was a key figure in the formation of STISA, alongside George F BRADSHAW. Possibly moved away from St Ives to Plymouth after 1939, and then on to Bristol 1946, remaining active in art circles there.