The Royal Hibernian Academy of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture in Dublin dates from 1803. It was incorporated in 1823 and enlarged in 1861. It is under the patronage of the Queen, and the vice-patronage of the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Its membership consists of Academicians, Associates, and Honorary Members. The annual exhibition of painting, sculpture, and architecture opens in February; students are admitted to the schools or producing a certificate from the Department of Science and Art, stating that the applicant has passed in the four papers of free-hand, geometrical, perspective, and object drawing of the second grade; or they may be admitted by the Council of the Academy on forwarding specimen drawings. An examination of the students' work is held in the autumn by the Presidential Keeper in conjunction with an inspector from the Department of Science and Art, when medals are awarded.
Professors of sculpture, architecture, and painting are chosen from among the Academicians; professors of anatomy, history, and archaeology from the Honorary Members, or it may be from men not connected with the Academy. Apart from these schools the students have the privilege of working and copying the masters in the National Gallery of Ireland on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year. There are also excellent art schools in Dublin, subordinate to the South Kensington Museum, at the Queen's Institute, and at the Royal Dublin Society House. (Account late 1800's)


Royal Hibernian Academy